Tuesday, September 9, 2008

We Finally Got Them!

So yesterday we FINALLY got Sean's official orders. He re-enlisted for Italy, but at the time they told us we were only guaranteed Europe, we could be going to Germany. Honestly either was fine with me, but our official orders do say Italy and also tell us what company, etc. Sean will be with.

I'm so excited! The only blip on my radar is this stupid PT test, but I have faith that it will be taken care of and in a few short months we will be on our way to Italy. I'm so excited, but also a bit nervous at the same time. I know it's going to be a wonderful experience though.

I have to say I really hate election years. I hate the us vs. them mentality and I hate sweeping generalizations that people make. I was reading a blog yesterday where a woman was talking about why she was voting for X candidate and her husband was deployed and he was voting for X candidate and in fact where he was deployed there was a large to small ratio of men voting for X candidate. First of all, how do you know the exact number of men who are deployed that are voting for the same candidate you are? Pulling a ratio like that simply because some of your husband's friends or people in his unit that he knows are voting the same way he is doesn't mean X number of people in his same situation are voting the same way. I just hate when people do that. Like they can positively prove that? Just irritating to me.

I talked to my mom the other day and she informed me that she and my dad and my brother might be coming down here to visit during their Fall Break. I'm so excited about this. Last time they were here I didn't really get the chance to explore with them and I'm hoping this time we can go down to Baton Rouge and also visit Oak Alley plantation, which has been a must-see on my list for sometime now. I feel bad though because I told her I might not be coming home for the actual Thanksgiving holiday. I can tell she was a little sad about it, but I'm not sure if Sean does have that weekend off and if he does, all those from his unit that have to stay because of rotation asked if we could put together a Thanksgiving dinner for everyone. How can I say no to that? I tried to make my mom feel better by explaining we would probably be staying with them for most of December, but I think she was still sad.

In other news, our gym on-post now has a belly-dancing class. How fun is that? I really want to go and the best part is that it's free! It's on Monday evenings from 7-9. I didn't go last night since I had other plans and had also already been at the gym for an hour prior to that, but I think I'm going to start going next week!

18 comments:

the dragonfly said...

How cool that you get to go to Italy?! There are a few negatives to living in Europe, but overall I love being in Germany. There's so much to explore! I can't wait to read about your adventures. :)

Sara said...

I have been very disappointed with all the political posts lately too. politics are like religion: everyones opinions run so deep there's no point in discussing it. The in-group out-group mentality is disheartening which is why I haven't written anything about my own opinions. Not at least since I wanted to make it clear that democrat and hippie/communist are not the same thing.

Congratulations on Italy! I am so envious! Hopefully after Captain's Course and SFAS we will get a much better duty station than Ft. Polk. Mark and I have both travelled in Europe a lot but never together. I have visions of weekend trips like a few friends of ours are doing now.

tootie said...

Europe?? That is awesome! I bet you will absolutely love it. What a fun adventure.

And the belly dancing class sounds fun, too! You'll have to tell us how it goes.

Mrs. Mootz said...

Wow! Italy is going to be so exciting! Stonewall and I are hoping that once he's done with this deployment we can try and find our way to Europe. I can only imagine how excited you must be!

Weeksie50 said...

I have a friend stationed in Italy right now.. She loves it.

Becky

Rick said...

Thank you for serving our country where ever that may be.

http://www.organizeddoodles.blogspot.com/

P.S. You wouldn't want this belly in a belly dancing class.

Breanne said...

Congrats on getting Italy!

Rebecca said...

Oak Alley! I've been wanting to go there. I tried to convince Shawn to go with me after our trip to New Orleans a year ago but he wanted to go to the zoo instead. But one day, I will go there!

Weeksie50 said...

I live in McAlester.
Do you know where that is?

Becky

oº˚ Homeschool Mom˚ºo said...

Belly dancing that sound like so much fun! To bad I'm not closer I would take them with you! Much Love.

Brett Alexandra said...

Love your blog!! I'm a soon-to-be military wife (Navy). I'm sure we have a TON in common!

The Mrs. said...

I hear ya... this campaign season is making my blood pressure go thru the roof.

Ciao! (that is italian right? Can you tell the Marine Corps hasnt sent me anywhere neat. Only the hubs. Sigh) : )

My Two Army Brats said...

Italy? That's awesome! If we had to go to Europe that would be my choice! Everyone goes to Germany so blah! My bff is going to be going to Norway if their orders come through! I'll stick with missing Alaska and tollerating another deployment for now...for now..

Jrzy Army Wife said...

Italy sweet! Hubby keeps trying to convince me that I want to go there. Somedays I almost say yes. Maybe I'll see ya there,lol.

Glad you guys made it safely through the Hurricane.

Jenna said...

Totally agree about the politcal thing. It is just exhausting. It really does seem like a big popularity contest. Candidates seems like they try to do things they think the public will want to hear and I can't figure out why people have to vehemently hate candidates, it seems a little over the top. How can anyone figure out who to vote for in this mess? Ugh.

Grats on Italy though

Anonymous said...

How fun that you get to go to Europe and live?!?! I was in Germany for a day (had a long lay over) and the Czech republic for 3 weeks and I loved every minute of it.

Whitney said...

AHHH! You're going to Italy!?! For how long?!! Oh, I am jealous jealous jealous!

Your adventures are going to be amazing! When do you leave?

Brando said...

I've lived in Germany and Italy and they are both amazing! You will love either of them!

I hope you have fun with your family!