Saturday, March 27, 2010

Veggie, Veggie, Fruit, Fruit!

Just a few lyrics from an old Disney attraction.

Seriously though, I am going to discuss fruits and veggies today. Why? Well..why not?

I've been on a health kick since Sean deployed. Partly because I want to take better care of myself and partly just because I want to look smokin' hot.

Part of that of course is dependent on exercise, but the other part is my eating habits. I've never really had an aversion to fruits or vegetables, so that makes it a lot easier for me. However, I get bored just eating things like carrot sticks and tomatoes so I have to mix it up a bit.

My favorite way to get some fruit and veggies in my diet is a Green Monster. I first heard about them from Megan and I couldn't wait to try it myself. Basically the way I make mine is to add a whole banana, a whole kiwi, sliced with skin on, skim milk, a big handful of spinach leaves, some vanilla yogurt and strawberries if I have them. Blend it all up and there you go. A perfect way to get in some fruits and veggies.



I've also been roasting a lot of my vegetables. Carrots roasted with olive oil and sprinkled with thyme is delish. Did you know carrots taste sweet after they've been roasted? It's true. Today I roasted some asparagus with olive oil, kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and a sprinkle of garlic salt. Heavnely!



Do you guys have any veggie or fruit dishes you'd like to share? I'd love to hear them!

17 comments:

Mary Teresa said...

I'm a fan of sweet potato fires with cumin and cinnamon and squash of any and all varieties. =)

Sarah said...

I LOVE having asparagus like that! I even go so far as to burn it a bit because I like the taste of it when it's crispier. Your smoothie blend sounds good too but I'm pretty allergic to fruit so idk probably have to use frozen stuff which doesn't taste as good. :/
One of my favorite veggie snacks is to fry zucchini with a little salt, a lot of pepper, and a bit of non-stick spray so it doesn't get stuck. I've missed it so much this last winter!

Proud Army Wife said...

I would have to say my favorite is steamed artichokes with garlic. I have a steamer so in the water I put one to two cloves of garlic and if you like it you can add butter, but I'm not a big fan. Steam them for about an hour and man oh man its a tastey treat.

Sara said...

Actually all of that is generally fed in my house weekly. I do asparagus the exact same way you do. And I do green monster smoothies about every day! We also like to broil summer squash with a little butter or oil, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and garlic poweder. Another good thing is roasting garlic and red pepper flakes in some olive oil and then pour it over some veggies like broccoli then saute or bake.

JG said...

I love grilled veggies, especially in kabob form :)

Shoshanah said...

I don't buy a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits very often. More because its an inconvenience than anything else. But the vegetables I probably cook the most often are green buys. I always use fresh ones, and cook them on the stove with just a little salt and olive oil. I like them to still snap when I eat them.

Emily said...

I LOVE roasting veggies :) broccoli is amazing roasted as well. I have it just about every night. I've heard that cauilflower is good that way as well, but haven't tried it yet.
I am a huge fan of smoothies, I just wish I had a blender. That green monster you make looks amazing!

Natalie said...

Sweet potato fries!!!

Annie said...

I like broccoli and carrots steamed over chicken broth. Love roasted veggies.

As for fruit, I'm a fan of a good smoothie! And I recently found a pudding recipe with avocado (one of my favorites!) that I just made this afternoon and will try later. Check out the Green Goddess Pudding here: http://wildernesschilde.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-ostara.html

Carissa said...

Asparagus with tarragon is delish too!

Tori Bella said...

Those asparagus are making my mouth water!

Cassandra said...

Sounds delicious.

Sometimes I will do meat and vegetables, but instead of the standard steamed vegetables I dice carrots, zucchini, broccoli and cauliflower and carrot and add in a bit of corn and then pour over a can of diced tomato and a couple of flavoured sauces and cook. Not only do you get heaps of vegies you also get the super food tomato and it tastes good!

Anonymous said...

I am a new follower :)
Hope you are having an awesome weekend!

Jessica said...

green monster looks and sounds delicious, i think i may try it!

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

Well, I love veggies but didn't always have such a love affair. I made zucchini soup tonight. Roast garlic & scallions in a pan. Chunk 3 small zucchini (add more for more people) and cover and brown. Put in a bowl and add vegetable or chicken stock slowly as you use a hand food processor to smash the soup until it's a thicker consistency. Add thyme and a few tablespoons of sour cream or yogurt (to cream it out a tiny bit). Salt, pepper. I love this with paninis or grilled cheese/tomato sandwiches. Keep the skin on and add carrots or potatoes to the soup if you want. The nutrients stay with the veggie and it's really healthy.

Tania said...

It's hard for me to cook vegetables with dinner since a certain somebody only eats a limited variety. But ever since I was a baby, I've LOVED tomatoes. I just slice one up, sprinkle a little sea salt on top, and devour! Kinda boring, but tastes so good!

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

I've never heard of the green monster, but I think I might just have to try your blended drink since I love kiwi and strawberries :)

I love baked butternut squash and garlicky sweet potato mash.