Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On the Radio

So living overseas means I'm not as exposed to pop culture that's hot right now in the States, but through iTunes and various other sources, I can get the drift of what's going on.

I'm about to the point where I'm going to start boycotting Top 40 radio. I hear a song sometimes and have to wonder two things:

1. What in the heck is the person who wrote this song thinking?
2. Can anybody get a record contract these days?

I have two songs to prove my point.

Exhibit A:

We R Who We R by Kesha



Have you heard the lyrics for this? Here are a few of my favorite snippets.

"We’re dancing like we’re dumb
Our bodies go numb
We’ll be forever young
You know we’re superstars
We are who we are!"

"I’m just talkin’ truth
I’m telling you ’bout the s— we do
We’re sellin’ our clothes, sleepin’ in cars
Dressin’ it down, hittin’ on dudes (HARD!)"

Um...selling' our clothes, sleepin' in cars? Sounds like a great life...

Exhibit B:

"I Whip My Hair" Willow Smith



Although Will Smith's daughter is adorable, I don't want to hear on constant repeat the words, "I Whip my Hair back and forth"

16 comments:

Rebecca said...

All of Kesha's songs seem to be about the same thing. I agree, it seems like just about anyone can get a record deal. It doesn't seem to be about talent, but about commercial appeal (Miley Cyrus, for example).

hmb said...

It cracks me up on The Soup when Joel calls her Ke-dollar sign -sha. Anyway, all of her lyrics are terrible!

Jessica Lynn said...

I refuse to listen to songs that can't even spell out a simple title. Really? Is it that much harder to write "are" instead of "R"? Ugh.

Missus Elle said...

I love Ke$ha though. Her songs are catchy and get me all pumped! But yes Willow Smith...so cute but SHUT IT! LOL. Whiplash Hard Core.

Jes said...

I had a long chat with some friends about this the other day...I get REALLY annoyed when someone sounds great on the radio then SUCKS live..I think you should have to be able to sing to be a singer, not just be a pretty girl with great vocal editing! UGH...I'm stopping now before I cannot stop!

Anonymous said...

I can't stand Kesha's voice. It sounds like she is crazy high on drugs, but I may be the only person who thinks that. Her songs also make hardly any sense. While Willow Smith is adorable, the song makes me want to smack my radio to stop the skipping. But then I realize it's the actual song and there's nothing I can do.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Top 40 sucks! Have you heard Fly like a G6?! That one made me want to gag. And Ke$ha is awful... All the auto tune stuff is terrible, no one really needs to be able to sing anymore. It is all about the dancing/how scantily dressed they are.

This is why I only ever listen to NPR while driving now.

lmc said...

I couldn't agree with you more! Music is getting worse and worse!

I'm a new follower :)

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh. 1. I can't STAND Ke$ha. 2. How old is his daugher?! I thought she was like 10 or something. I'm sorry, but that's a little too young to be performing for zillions of people. These days, I think anyone with a little bit of money can get a record deal. I barely listen to pop radio anymore. It's either Christian radio, country or iPod for me. So sad.

Irish Princess said...

I absolutely agree with you about Kesha. I can not stand her. I am absolutely bewildered by how she got a music contract and why she is so popular. I don't get it.

Unknown said...

Ha ha this made me laugh. HARD!

Sarah said...

Have you heard the song " Dirty Picture"? EWWWWW.

Dana said...

Ever seen the video mashup between Kesha's "Tik Tok" and Katy Perry's "California Gurls?" Almost identical, equally horrible.

Unknown said...

Listening to both of these songs literally just made me nauseous. The willow smith song reminds me of that "lip gloss" song by lil mama. hahaha.

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I think if Willow's dad wasn't Will she wouldn't have got that deal....

Jessica said...

Kesha's voice sounds like nails against a chalkboard to me!