Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Oh the Joy of Being a Dog Owner

As some of you know, I have an extremely funny, smart and naughty Min-Pin named Boomer.

Today he was due to the vet to get his nails clipped. If you've heard my stories about past vet experiences, then you know how much of an ordeal it is to get his nails clipped.

To put it mildly, he freaks out. I'm talking legs and head thrashing, whining and snapping at people. He now has to wear a muzzle and the vet visit was so bad last time that they gave me a sedative to give him before his next visit.

Usually I get injured in the line of duty. I've had bruises on my chin from Boomer throwing his head up, scratches on my arm that they had to treat at the vet office and today I got my nose hit by Boomer's thrashing head.




Boomer is usually a delight, until you get him in the vet office. He always fools the vet techs before he goes in because he's so calm and cuddly looking. Then he turns into a little demon Min-Pin. This time was no exception, he was a little bit better, but the sedative did NOTHING.

I'm just glad it's over and it will be a couple more months before we have to repeat this ritual.

10 comments:

The Mrs. in Stilettos said...

lol you poor thing! Sounds like having a toddler that has to get shots lol! At least when you have a toddler in the home you will be ready for it!

Megan said...

Wow, I thought it was just my crazy min-pin who hates getting her nails clipped. I always end up with scratches on my arms and bruises. For being so small they really put up a fight!

lmc said...

Poor little guy! He's adorable, though!!

Lindsay Gray said...

I'm sure you've already tried this but I always give Roxie half a childrens benedryl when I know she's going to be doing something that stresses her out (basically just airplane travel) would something like that maybe at least help him?

The other recommendation is have you ever gotten his nails ground down instead of clipped? Just throwing out ideas!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Oh my! I'm glad the appointment is over then!

tammy_hodges said...

I think we have his long lost brother. WE have a tiny min pin that weighs about four lbs however our vet even said he is the MOST aggressive min pin he has ever seen. He is our doggie daycare dropout as well. It was so bad in May when we went to Disney before PCSing that I had to call my parents to go get him b/c he got kicked out of doggie daycare aka the kennel. :) Nice huh?

Sarah said...

Aww, poor guy! And poor you! That doesn't sound like an experience that either or you should have to go through. Maybe you could distract him with treats? Idk but I hope next time is better!

Jes said...

ha ha! Our dog is the exact opposite...he throws a fit going in but then behaves like an angel when they're working on him. He freaks the vet (and everyone in the waiting room) out thinking he's going to be a handful then just sits their quietly while they work on him.

Glad we only have to do this once every few months!

Jon and Steph said...

Poor little Boomer! I know the feeling, I am terrified of going to the doctor.

Kebi Cedawna said...

Poor Boomer. Or, should I say poor Melissa after recieving that thrashing.
I am so wanting another dog right now, or at least when Matt & I get our place. Boz (another Sooner name)is the lab I gave to Matt when we were in high school. He ran off a few months ago & hasn't shown back up.
I really want a Newfoundland or a Great Pyranees. We'll see. It's gonna be tough finding another OU name though. Boomer, Sooner & Boz are all out. Knowing Matt, he might want to name it Landry or DeMarco lol.