Wednesday, September 29, 2010

What's for Dinner?

What's on your dinner list this week?

We're trying to stretch our money until payday, which is thankfully tomorrow, so I tried to find cheap recipes for this week.

Sunday and Monday we had taco soup, which is one of Sean's favorites. I like it because it's super easy to make. Find the recipe here. I've been adding hamburger meat and rice to it, but otherwise I make it the same.

Yesterday I made shredded chicken in the Crock-pot and wound up with some homemade broth to boot. I use Gina's recipe for it over at Skinnytaste.com. Find it here.
I used part of the chicken yesterday for my favorite chicken salad recipe EVER. It's addictive, I'm not kidding. Here is the recipe.

Tonight I'm using whole wheat tortillas to make chicken and rice burritos with homemade guacamole. Should be delish!

Next week I'm going to attempt pumpkin chili. I'm eager to see how that turns out.

Share your recipes! I'm always looking for new ones!

Oh and thanks to everyone who's already entered my 8x10 print giveaway! If you haven't entered yet, check the post before this and get your name on the list.

9 comments:

The Mrs. in Stilettos said...

I tend to go between pioneer woman's recipes and annie's eats! I love and hate menu planning lol! J's work schedule is so everywhere all of the time that it's hard to stick to the plan lol!

Meg said...

If you guys like beef stroganoff, this recipe is a must-try. It's one of my go-tos because it's super-simple and delicious, and lets the crock pot do all the work. Plus, with only two people, it provides a couple days' worth of leftovers for lunch.

Oh--also, I've substituted Golden Mushroom soup and French Onion soup with good results.

http://www.food.com/recipe/beef-stroganoff-crock-pot-79082

Kristen said...

I love menu planning and pioneer woman is one of my favorites as well. I also make sure to plan at least two crockpot recipes a week, many from www.crockpot365.blogspot.com

Missus Elle said...

I dont know what pay grade your hubby is, but mine is an E4. I make this all the time. Its easy and really cheap to jazz up a simple chicken dinner.
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 envolope Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves. (I have used just 4)
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder

Mix cheese, garlic powder and salad dressing mix
Moisten chicken with water; coat with cheese mixture
Place in shallow baking dish.

Bake (uncovered) at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked through

Also if you want sprinkle fresh Parmesan cheese over the chicken after it is placed in the
baking dish. It gives it a great look.

Living the Long Life... said...

Check out mine and my friends food blog. I always forget about it and really need to post more. Try the pork carnitas (oh so yummy) and the Italian beef sandwiches! ourkitchenstoyours.blogspot.com

my kitchen cafe (dot)com is awesome!

hmb said...

Are you into ghetto chicken n dumplings? LOL
http://anorthcountrykindoflove.blogspot.com/2010/09/not-your-granmamas-chicken-n-dumplings.html

I've also been eating a ton of tomato soup with grilled cheese. It's the easiest and cheapest best meal ever. :)

We love taco soup here, too!!

Erin said...

I would love to know how the Pumkin Chili turns out. If it is good, please post the recipe!

Anonymous said...

We had a lot of sandwiches on the menu this week: turkey reuben's, pulled pork sandwiches, and BLT's. I am definitely going to try to be more creative this coming week.

Caitlin said...

I have to make all my own food now that I'm gluten free so I've had to be creative. I came up with this one meal that's delish and cheap...

Basically I cook some chicken, chopped onion, green pepper and mushrooms together with a crap-ton of rosemary (and some garlic powder). Then I pour in some white wine and let it reduce. In the meantime I cook some noodles, then mix the chicken/veggie mix and noodles together. Finally, I put about half of a little log of goat cheese (sliced so it melts faster) on top and mix it all up. It's delicious and tastes even better left over!

Let me know if you want specifics! :)