Saturday, September 18, 2010

My First 5K

Today was my first 5K and it started off with a bang.

For starters, it had been raining off and on since last night and it was not letting up this morning at all. In fact, when the race started it was pouring and it continued to pour throughout the race.

I had only intented to run for as long as I possibly could. In fact, on my Couch to 5K plan, I was only up to running for 20 minutes straight and I didn't think there was any way I was going to be able to run the whole 5K since I hadn't ever run that far in my life.

I honestly think what helped is that there were two girls running next to me for pretty much the entire race and I didn't want to fall behind them. One of them just happened to be a fellow mil-spouse blogger that I reguarly read, but I've never actually "met" in person.

I ended up running the entire race, but I'm not sure my time. I started my watch at the starting line, but forgot to stop it when I crossed the finish line. My guesstimate is about 35 minutes, which isn't too bad for me.



I'll admit it, I cried a little in my car after the race, just because I was so happy to have done better than I expected and to accomplish a goal I've had for a long time.

I'm excited to run my next 5K!

26 comments:

tootie said...

Congrats on the 5K! Sounds like it went well, despite the rain!

Erika said...

good job! i was a little scared of my first 5k too.

LindseyEveryday said...

Congrats!! How exciting! I love accomplishing things, but to do better than before is 10x more gratifying!!

lindseyl0ve.blogspot.com

Erin said...

Congrats!!! You did awesome!! You should be proud!

Mrs. F said...

Congrats! I've never done any long distance running (which I consider anything over 2 miles), I should look into local 5Ks. Thanks for the inspiration!

Dixie Bell Designs said...

Congrats!!

JG said...

Go you!! :)

hmb said...

Good job, lady!

Rebecca (Craving Simplicity) said...

Congrats!!!

Lisa said...

Whoohoo!! Good for you! Congratulations on your first 5k!

Drew said...

Congrats!! Races are always better than your regular runs because of the adrenaline!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!

SS said...

Good job..... Isn't it an awesome feeling to do more or better than you even expected of yourself!

Dana said...

GOOD FOR YOU! There is nothing as good for the soul as accomplishing long term goals, finally.

Dana
PS. Working on a post in response to your question. It's one I get, a lot.

Unknown said...

It was so great to run with you! You really kept me going too and I'm not sure I would have run the whole thing without you there next to me keeping me going. You're awesome!

That's Mrs. Russell said...

Not so bad for your first 5k. Sounds like it went well. Be proud of yourself.

Natalie said...

Congrats! Who cares about the time, you just ran a 5K!

Jon and Steph said...

Congrats!! Doesn't it feel so awesome to accomplish that! Too bad about the rain, but at least you got out there and did it!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! That is so awesome, I am really envious of people that can run because I am pitiful at it. Lol a few months ago when I was thinking about joining the army I did a PT test with the future soldiers and I ended up surprising myself and doing way better than I had expected. But the second I got in my car, I started crying also :)

Unknown said...

awesome job!!! :] i need to get going on that couch to 5k. i've started several times but it RAINS so much here!

Kebi Cedawna said...

Aw, Congrats!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Congrats on finishing the 5k!

Uncork and Unwined said...

Aww, congrats and great job!

Megan said...

Congrats on the 5k! Very exciting :) There will be many more in the future i'm sure!

stefanie said...

Awesome!!! 35 min is great! Congrats!

d.a.r. said...

Congrats!!! That is a GREAT first 5K. Hell, that is a great time for any 5K! Way to go!