Sunday, August 22, 2010

Ephesus/Kusadasi

This was the second stop on our cruise this summer. We actually docked in Kusadasi, Turkey, but our group was interested in seeing the ruins of Ephesus. If you're blonde like me, it might be awhile before it dawns on you that this is where Paul was among the Ephesians. Yeah...my family laughed at me when I finally figured that one out.

Anywho...



This was in Kusadasi. We walked around it for a bit after we saw Ephesus. We went through the market there, walked some of the streets and sampled some sweets. Turks are VERY VERY pushy when it comes to their markets. I don't like being hassled so it wasn't fun for me.



These were some of the sweets we ate. They were coated in pistachios (which I love) but the center was marshamallow (which I don't like). I ate one, but it wasn't the best thing I had on the trip by far.



This is a view from Kusadasi looking at our cruise ship. I loved that the old man just happened to be fishing there.



This is some of the ruins of Ephesus. If you've ever been to Pompeii, it reminds me somewhat of it. It was interesting to see where the exclusive shops had been, where the lead pipes that carried water were, etc.





Me in the ancient public bathrooms of Ephesus.



This is the library at Ephesus. Probably one of the better preserved buildings.



Their are just random columns around. They are actually still excavating a lot of the ruins, so the work there is far from completed.

Next stop on our trip was my favorite: Santorini, Greece

10 comments:

Julie Danielle said...

Your pictures are awesome!

We got to see the ruins in Ephesus too. What an amazing place! We had to take a picture on the ancient bathrooms too...lol

Mrs. F said...

What an amazing place, I'm so jealous! I studied Roman archaeology and I CAN'T wait to visit Roman ruins in Turkey.

Megan said...

Great pictures!

I actually studied the ruins of Ephesus when I was in college, so I really enjoyed looking at them!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

These photos look great!!! I love the one with the guy fishing!

Tori Bella said...

Did you sanitize that toliet seat? LOL Great pictures!

Lindsay Gray said...

Turkey was one of the most unsettling places that I've visited overseas. I've heard that the port cities are the worst for the pushiness- so I'm assuming that's why. But I had one guy litterally RUN off with my credit card in his hand because his machine wouldn't work. I had to chase him down to get it back!!

Anonymous said...

Love the photos! I wouldn't have put Ephesus and Paul together, and I'm not blonde! LOL!

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

I seriously love, love, love your pics!!

Emily of Boston said...

Hey... I've been there!! I loved the ruins. But pretty much everything else about Turkey was lost on me. The people were so rude, it was overwhelming walking around and getting harassed by street vendors. Same thing happened to us in Istanbul. Ick!!

Unknown said...

Awe! What an awesome adventure!! I wanna go to all the places you have been! Lucky you!!