Sunday, March 22, 2009

Smattering and a Smidgen

Today's post is random, just warning you in advance.

It seems like today is bad news day, at least for Sean. He has CQ for the next 24 hours, I got a message from a mutual friend of ours informing me one of his childhood friends died on Friday and I learned from a former Ft. Polk wife that her husband (who used to be in Sean's unit) was shot in Afghanistan, the only decent news about that is that he's stable and on his way to Germany.

I also seem to be wanting to get sick, at least my body seems to be trying to. At night I feel like stuff is draining down my throat and I feel a bit sniffly, but I have yet to feel really bad OR kick whatever is getting me down.

I do however, have some good news.

1. We have definite days for block leave. Which means Sean and I can start planning our trip to Ireland in July. We are going for his 30th Bday/My 26th Bday/our 2nd Anniversary. We are looking at three days in July and I'm beyond excited. If you have been to Ireland recently, please give me some travel tips. Feel free to email those to me.

2. Our Battallion Ball is coming up in May! I don't know about the rest of you military wives, but I look forward to the balls. I don't think I'll be buying a dress this year. I have two that I'm trying to decide between and I'll take pictures and ask for your opinions soon.

As I mentioned on Thursday, our household goods came in. They delievered them bright and early Friday morning. Technically I know you can have them unpack for you, but I don't like people unpacking my stuff. For one it makes an even bigger mess than me just going through the boxes myself. Thankfully the guys will be back to get the empty boxes though and that's a relief! You wouldn't want to come to our house right now. It's insanely messy! I curse the fact Europeans don't believe in closets!

One more thing for you photographers out there. Check out JPG magazine or their website JPGmag.com. It's a great inspiration for pictures and I just love looking at everyone's work. I highly recommend you check it out!

How was your weekend? Do anything fun?

21 comments:

tootie said...

How cool that you're going to Ireland! I hope you'll post lots of pictures when you get back from it :)

Megan said...

Wow that's great you got your stuff and they are coming back for the boxes. I feel the same way about movers touching my things. Have fun in Ireland, my cousin went a few months ago and she said it was beautiful, but they do drive crazy and on the other side of the street.
At least they speak English though. :)

hmb said...

Ireland sounds awesome!!! PS--hope your friends husband will be okay. I said a quick prayer for him!!

Anonymous said...

Ireland, so awesome. James and i went last Aug and had a blast! anything you want to know just ask!

Becky said...

If you haven't realized it, a couple of your followers are nurses at the hospital in Germany. If there is anyone you would like for us to meet with, send me their info and we will do our best.
I hope you have fun in Ireland, enjoy your precious time with your husband- every minute counts!

lola said...

Ireland will be so much fun! I think that is the one thing that I would most about being stationed in Italy or Germany -- you have a great opportunity to travel through Europe at a cheaper rate because there isn't the hassle of flying (across the Atlantic, at least!)

Not too much this weekend..I owe the world a blog post, so I'll get it up on there! :D

jlc said...

Ahhh Ireland!!! That's so exciting!!

I'm so happy my hubbs will be back home in July, because that's when we're celebrating our 2 year too!!

(We already missed 1 wedding anniversary cause of this deployment.)

July 20th. When's yours? Ohhhh you guys are gonna have a blast! S had a great time in Ireland - he was there for St Patty's Day!

Honey said...

we're off to dublin in two weeks, and i've been to the west coast about six years ago. i'll let you know which one is the best for a three day visit when i get back! glad you have your stuff.

The Mrs. said...

Ohh Ireland! I'm excited for you, flyboys been and I've always wanted to go.

And I feel ya on the no closets. We live in an old farmhouse and have NOT ONE closet. Stinks. No where to hide stuff!

Dana said...

Ireland is wonderful! The people there are the nicest you'll ever meet. One thing I can tell you - whatever town you're going to visit, stay in that town. Michael and I went to Dublin over Christmas and stay in a town that was supposedly a "20-minute-drive." It was more like an hourlong drive, so cab rides took up a lot of our budget. And don't forget your camera...you'll get a kick out of the hairstyles of the teens there!

Kebi Cedawna said...

Ireland sounds like a dream, I'm so glad you guys are able to get some travel plans set.
(I had to look up what CQ was. I always have to look up the mil jargon on wikipedia so I know what you're talking about, lol)
The bad news for Sean sounds awful, I said a prayer that you two are doing okay.
I'm going to have to shoot an email your way soon, so much has been going on that I don't really want to blog about. Too much drama :(

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Ireland is amazing! Hubby and I have been to Dublin, and Hubby to Kerry also. You are going to Dublin I assume? I will email you. We just went in January. I LOVE that place!

Sara said...

Oh thank goodness you finally got your household goods. Although I think I remember you saying 90 days was pretty average. I didn't know they'd unpack for you. I'm down with that. I'll just watch like a hawk! So sorry about all the other bad news. I'm glad the Ireland vacay is working out!!

Tasha said...

That's awesome that you guys get to do a trip to Ireland! Can't wait to see all the beautiful pictures you will take there! Happy weekend to you!

Gleatie said...

That is so great that your stuff came! We dropped off our car at the processing center on Wednesday and it had already made it on the ocean liner by Thursday! I was a bit surprised! Our packers are coming on Wednesday. Unfortunately we haven't received ANY instruction about what we are supposed to do in the way of packing anything! Do we have to do anything at all? I'm so lost. Anyways, have fun unpacking! I'm super nervous!!!

Jon and Steph said...

Such a great feeling to have your stuff huh? I bet you are so happy and now you all can finally get settled!! I know what you mean about closets! I curse Europe for that as well.

Ireland will be fantastic. I've never been, but there's a blog friend I have that lives there at the moment. www.andherheartisinireland.blogspot.com She'd be happy to give you all the ideas you'll need for your trip.

Hope you have a great week! and good luck getting everything unpacked and put in its place!

SarahEileen said...

So first, I expect a ton of Ireland pictures! My brother has gone at least a couple times and loved it. I wish I could get there...if only I could get over my fear of the ridiculously long flight.

And second, you are so right about speeders in Louisiana! The speed limit will be 45 and someone will pass me in a no passing zone going at least 70 - true story. I also rarely see a cop. Perhaps that's part of the problem. I'm just too much of a goody goody to go more than 5 over. Ugh!

Hope you're having fun unpacking!

Lindsey said...

Ireland!!! I am beyond jealous, haha!

Sarah said...

Ireland!?! How fun! Lucky girl. Good to hear that you finally got your things. Even if its a mess right now, they're there and in one piece, so that's good at least.

Lindsay Gray said...

Oh geez, bad news and more bad news. That sucks Mel. I'll keep Sean and your friends hubby in my prayers.

As for Ireland, I'm so completely jealous!

Caitlin @ A Galway Girl (in Chicago) said...

Ireland is an AMAZING country!!! Since I am currently living in Ireland (Galway to be more specific) and have travelled around extensively in the last few months...I felt compelled to offer my expertise to you in your planning...Dublin is cool but has lost the TRUE Ireland feel...The West Coast is where it is at! Galway, Connemara, Aran Islands, etc. Feel free to email me if you have any questions, etc. :)

-Caitlin

p.s. I just got back from a week in Italy (Florence, Rome, and Milan) too! Too bad I didn't find your blog till after I got back!