Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Hey, Thanks for Your Help! (said in best sarcastic voice)

So, today I had a few hours to kill before work and decided to finally go over to our education center and talk to a counselor about working on my Masters.

I might as well have saved myself the trip and just googled the info I was seeking, which in the end is what I ended up doing anyway.

I don't mean to be a big complainer, but aren't the employees of the ed center there for a reason? As in helping you find information about colleges or answering any questions you might have? I mean, that was my impression.

Here's how my convo with the ed center counselor went.

Me: "Hi, I was looking for some information about continuing my Masters. I'd like to get my Masters in Library Science."

Her: " Oh, well there's only a few schools that do that entirely online. One is Drexel University and one is in....ummm Denton, Texas I think?"

Me: " You mean the University of North Texas?"

Her:" I'm not sure if that sounds right, but maybe it is."

Me:" Well, I still need to take my GRE, could you tell me where I can do that."

Her:"Well...I think in Milan, but maybe here in Vicenza too. I'm not sure, the guy you need to ask is down the hall."

Me: "Well, can you give me any information on the two universities?"

Her:" I would, but this computer doesn't work, but you can google it and find the info."

Me: "Um...ok, thanks for the help."

Yeah, what help!? She only told me maybe one thing I didn't already know.

Total waste of time to go to the Ed Center.

ARGH!

18 comments:

d.a.r. said...

But why would you need your masters if you are going to become an officer in the army? :) Totally kidding! That sounds like a horrible experience, I can't believe she was so unhelpful! I hope you can get it all sorted out here soon!

Lindsay Gray said...

I hate that. I'm a information hound so I generally do my research before going anywhere so as not to ask stupid questions. At least half the time though, I end up knowing more than the person I am asking about the topic anyway. It's so frustrating!

Stephanie said...

FRUSTRATING!

Drexel has a fabulous program by the way. I have a good friend who has her Masters in Library Sciences from there...all online!

tootie said...

Bummer! Sorry that she wasn't helpful at all.

But that's cool that you're thinking about a Master's! I did mine online, and I was happy with how it all turned out. (You can't beat getting your degree while wearing PJs at home :)

Brittney said...

Oh my, what a meanie. He/She obviously was lazy if they cannot help you since that is their job! Good luck on starting your degree!

Meg said...

Haha! People at school are supposed to help?! Sheesh! I've found that the most unhelpful people are those that are supposed to be the most helpful: advisors. Mine has no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, and tells me so when I am able to get ahold of him--once every two years. In fact I have two advisors, one for English and one for Education, but my schedule for Secondary English Education is a mixture of the two and neither one has the answers I need. Lame, it is. What would we do without google?

Anonymous said...

Oh it used to be worse! The girl that ran UMUC office at that center quit when I came in to ask some questions! She told me, no lie;

"I don't feel like helping you! I am quitting today anyway!"

RUDE! So I went to Aviano, used the better PX and talked to the ed center there. Air force people are usually so much nicer!

The Pink Chick said...

How frustrating! I totally don't understand people like that!

Mary Teresa said...

That's what happened to me when I went to get help writing my resume. Here's a computer...here's Google...the end. I of course came home and cried because I'm like that =D Hope you find the info you need online and good luck!

Jon and Steph said...

Ugh, how annoying! What a total waste of time!

rebecca said...

You should have slapped that person.

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Ugh. I didn't even go to the ed center once I found out they didn't offer the GRE. How can a base of this size, outside of the states, not offer the GRE. Dumb. Hopefully I can help you out. I will try to email you back in a bit.

Sarah said...

I wonder if people wake up in the morning and think "I'm going to be totally useless today at work." because sometimes I think that's what must happen. For instance, yesterday I was at Subway and I wanted ranch on my sandwich. There wasn't much left so the girl squeezed out what she could and was about the wrap the the thing up with three little dollops. Uh, excuse me lazy, go get MORE. Obviously yours is a much more important situation though.

Kebi Cedawna said...

I'm so excited that you are going to get your Masters! I know that you've been thinking about it for a while and it's nice to get the ball rolling.
The enrollment office here at RSU is a pain in the butt too. Every single semester without fail I get the run around about my scholarship money. I end up being transferred no less than 5 times and have to get everything straightened out on my own! People need to do their jobs!

Abbie said...

How obnoxious. Glad she's getting paid to sit there an sound stupid.

I hope you're able to get a hold of the information you're looking for!

lola said...

Sounds like they're rivaling Sprint in their usefulness!

Lisa said...

Oh I could tell you stories about the past 24 hours... long story short, if you ever leave your ID at the airport (by accident, of course) you should always plan for the lost and found office to be closed and there to be 100,000,000,000 unhelpful people at the airport refusing to open the office to retrieve said id.

Good luck getting all the info and taking the GRE! :)

Becca said...

To me it is a great irony that the stupidest people work at the education center. Here at the SGM Academy, the students are (mostly) required to take college classes. DH nearly lost his mind trying to get that worked out. We were kinda hoping that was just here at Bliss, but sadly it sounds widespread.

On the plus side, it sounds like you need a trip to Aviano! Big PX, Cinnabon, and the ed center.