Saturday, March 28, 2009

Do You Have Someone In Your Family Like This?

Some of you may have heard me mention my Aunt before on here, she's the one who loves to buy QVC stuff for Christmas or birthdays and it's usually things that none of us will ever use. She's also infamous for her gambling addiction and penchant for buying things at her second home in Arizona and bestowing them on us. I'm talking rattlesnake meat in a jar and things of that nature.

Yesterday I got an email from her that aggravated me. I've had a love/hate relationship with her since I was younger. Not really hate I suppose, more like dislike at times.

See the email talked about how she liked my pictures, which was a postive note, but then talked about how Sean should stop dipping because it's a nasty habit (yes I already know this) but what gets me is her husband smokes probably a pack a day and has a very close relationship with Scotch. She's not one to really talk about a spouse having nasty habits.

Then she goes on to ask me if I'd used the phone cards she gave me for Christmas yet and if I hadn't could I please call my grandmother? Ok, for starters I've told her several times that I didn't have Internet and/or a phone to call the states until Thursday. So, if I could have called my grandmother I would have. Then she proceeds to tell me not to forget my grandparent's birthdays that are coming up in April.

Let me say this, if I had forgotten their birthdays before I can understand why she'd remind me. HOWEVER, I call them every year on their birthday AND send them cards so I'm not sure why she thought I needed reminding. I wasn't rude in my email back to her, but I informed her I already had those dates scheduled on my calendar so I didn't need the reminder.

To further illustrate my aunt, I used to stay with her sometimes when I was younger for Spring Break or a weekend. She was very good to me when I was younger, buying me lots of clothes, taking me to the zoo, but when I was around six she started telling me to suck in my stomach. I WAS SIX! Six year olds are supposed to have somewhat unflat tummies. I mean come on!

Then a few years ago, we were at my Grandmothers eating dinner, fried chicken was on the menu and I was eating it with my hands. I mean, that's what you do with with fried chicken right? She proceeds to tell me I should cut it up, it's more ladylike. If anyone can tell me how you cut up fried chicken I'd like to know. I informed her it was fried chicken and by god I was going to eat it with my hands. (Ok..I was more polite than that, but I made my point known)

Now you can see why I don't really like hanging around her. She's gotten a little better the last year or two, but sometimes she really steams me up.

So...do you have a family member like this? I'd love to hear your stories.

18 comments:

hmb said...

my grandmother, god lover her, is always so quick to point out weight gain. it's really a pain in the ass. And it's not like Ford Models are calling her up or anything...

hmb said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Erica said...

Relatives like that drive me batty! It seems there is an age that the crazy aunts get crazier, as they deem themselves old and wise-enough to do as they please. Sucks that she can still have a grip on you from an ocean away.

Brittne said...

My Hubby's Aunt robin. A few years ago she came over to help unpack a few boxes at his moms and i was drinking diet pepsi, and she said the following, "No wonder you look bigger than when i last saw you! You've been drinking that crap!" Sigh, in laws.

Becca said...

Oh, yes my Aunt S. Never had children, but is an expert in raising them. Never been in the military, but every SINGLE time she was near my husband she would tell him he should try to become and officer.

My favorite is the Thanksgiving dinner I made while pregnant with my 2nd kid. She asked what we might name it and I foolishly blurted out "If it's a girl, Grace." She made a face and said, "That's a horrible name!". Guess what we named the baby anyway?

Sadly, she's now in her 80s living in a nursing home, very sick and detached from reality and still miserable. We'd hoped when her mind went, she might be more cheerful, but no. There's a major life lesson there somewhere.

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds like my Mom's parents. Shudder. They are just snoody uptight people. When I took James to meet them for the first time *we had been married some 4 years by then, but I dont keep much contact with them* and when they found out he was in the Army they did the whole "oh, civil service, guess you don't care about making money!"

What jerks!

jlc said...

Haha! My mom used to be obsessed with QVC when she was a SAHM.

Jenny said...

That fits my grandmother on my father's side to a T.

Kebi Cedawna said...

Sounds like my Nana,my mom's mother.
Both of my parent's dread when she visits because she's terribly bossy and judgmental. The house is never clean enough, the food is never good, and she's a total hypochondriac. When Tarra got preggo I heard her lecture me probably 20 times how Matt and I need to wait and do things "the right way". Yes, I'm not stupid, I know that having a baby before I'm done with college would be a struggle. (What really gets me is that I've always been really responsible, yet she still lectures)
I guess it's a good thing that you and the aunt are half a world apart :)

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

Yep. My Aunt. Totally like this. We don't get things from QVC though, just garage sales. My favorite was a blanket from a company golf tournament. Instead of emailing just me or my sister to tell us what we did wrong, she emails EVERYONE. The whole family gets to hear about how I was in town but never went to visit. She's also a hypochondriac. Ah, family.

lola said...

My grandmother was very much like this. She would be sweet at times, but at others just intolerable. There were a couple of years in there where I referred to her (not to her face) as a straight up bitch. She mellowed out with age and we ended up having a much closer relationship up until her death last year.

Hopefully she'll come around and realize that sharing familial love and time together is much better than being so critical. :)

Hannah said...

lol GEEZ. Thank God I do NOT have a relative like that!!

MissBliss said...

anyone who tells a six year old, or anyone, really, a thing about their stomachs needs to get on a deserted island, and stay there, imho

Jon and Steph said...

Wow, she acts like a mother more than an Aunt. I'm lucky enough to not have someone too much like that in my family. We just have a ginormous one, so there's never a dull moment!

Sondre Lyn said...

Oh yeah. My 'person' (can't say who it is!) reminds me to call my grandmother constantly. Because, you know, SHE is just so good at. She can't remember my kids' birthdays, and I have received numerous phone calls over the years days or weeks after missed birthdays telling me she was sorry she didn't call but she was "thinking" about us. Yeah, just what every 4 year old wants for their birthday. Then there are the gifts she DOES remember to send. Horrible free crap she picked up at fire safety day or unit picnics. (She's Navy.) Or McDonald's toys. Yep. My son is 20 years old, and he got a Burger King watch for Christmas this year. Nice.

Sassy Engineer said...

That is crazy!!! I don't really have a family member quite like that, but I have one that I feel like is always judging me by what I wear, what I order to eat, what wine I drink or don't drink - all of that sort of stuff. It is pretty disheartening when it comes from family. Sorry the relationship is so crazy, but I hope it continues to get better.

Sarah said...

Ohmygoodness what a nosy aunt! My Gram (Dad's mother) is nosy like that- telling my cousins and I what we should and should not eat, asking my Mom if she could store her junk at our house (not to mention her HUGE RV). Ah don't you just love family?

juliannah said...

My sister-in-law told me my daughter's name, when she was first born sounded like an old ladies' name. I had to restrain myself. We all have them. Don't even get me started on the rest of them...