Saturday, May 10, 2008

Memories of My Mother

I thought in honor of Mother's Day it would be fitting if I posted a memory or two I have of my mother.

One thing I will always associate with my mother is my love of reading. It was she who started reading to me when I was little. Everyday before naptime we would have a story. Some days it was chapters from Robin Hood or Winnie the Pooh, other days it was a Bible story from my illustrated Bible. I loved it when my mother read to me. Her voice was so soothing and she read so well.

Another memory of my mother is when she would curl my hair. I was always dressed to the nines in my holiday outfits. My mother would buy or make a lovely dress, I had frilly socks, matching shoes (usually patent leather) a bow or headband to match my dress, a matching or co-ordinating purse and even sometimes gloves. My mother would roll my hair in curlers the night before and I HATED having that done. For one, I was tender-headed and I didn't like my hair getting yanked on and I also hated having to sleep in the curlers. She started doing this to my hair when I was around 3 or 4 and to this day I do not know how she managed to get a headstrong little girl to wear those curlers to bed! The effects the next day were always great though and I had a headful of bouncing, golden-blonde curls. I realize now that it took a lot of effort on my moms part to dress-me like this, especially when she made co-ordinating outfits for my brother and I when we were small.

My mom is the most intelligent lady I know. She is a very giving, funny and beautiful woman and I hope that someday I will be the kind of mom to my children that she was to me.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

This was great!