Wednesday, April 23, 2008

But I don't want to!

I've heard this a lot lately and no I have no children, so its not from them that I'm hearing this.

I've actually been hearing this from a lot of spouses, mostly concerning moving.

I have to admit it gets pretty irritating to hear that over and over.

"But I don't want to move! I don't want to be that far away from my family! I've heard bad things about (insert name of post here).

I understand that to a degree. I mean, I moved 10 hours away from my family to live with Sean at Ft. Polk. Next January I will move across the ocean to Italy and be extremely far away from my family and I'm not complaining. Will I miss them? Yes! Do I already miss them? Yes! Do I complain and gripe about it all the time? No! I understand the fear of moving somewhere new, having to meet new people, adjust to life there. That's normal! But constantly worrying and griping about where you are going is like a rocking chair. IT gives you something to do, but you get nowhere.

We ARE married to someone who is in the military, obviously at some point in your life you aren't going to be overjoyed about where you are assigned. Life is what you make it. If you complain and mope then you are going to be miserable, if you make the best of it and your time there, then you are going to have fond memories of that place. I just wish people would understand that and stop throwing their little pity parties.

Yesterday in my AFTB class we learned about coping with change. You can either be a Change Master, someone who handles change in a positive way and does what they can to adapt or someone who is a Change Victim, who has a negative attitude about change and their situation.

I decided right then and there that I was going to try my hardest to be a change master. I have been more of a victim these last couple of months at Fort Polk, complaining how I have no friends and no job. This week though I've really tried to get out there and expand my horizons and this is the happiest I've been since we moved here.

Ok...vent over.

On a positive note, my well woman's exam and job interview both went really well today. The doctor who examined me was amazing! I told her my problems with my last birth control and she suggested something else and said if that didn't work then we would try things until we found something that did work for me. Hearing that really made me feel a lot better.

My job interview was probably one of the best I've had. It was at a claims office which handles claims for the Sherriff's association of Louisana. It sounds very interesting, the hours are great, the pay is good and everyone is friendly, and it's a small office, which I like. I think I really impressed my interviewer with some of my answers and he really needs someone to just fill this position temporarily, as in around a year, so with us leaving for Italy that works out great. He told me he'd most likely be calling me next week, so I'm really hoping that he does.

Well, I'm off to the gym for a run, everyone have a good evening.

1 comment:

d.a.r. said...

I love your attitude, especially as a new army wife. It is so easy to be caught up in being a victim and just complaining about it all the time. It is much more difficult to glean the positive from the situations we are faced with.

I personally hate hearing people complain about army posts and life on/around them. Sure, I would love some shopping nearby, I would love a decent (heck, I'd settle for a semi-decent) grocery store within an hour drive, I'd really love a big city to be closer than two hours away! BUT, I want to be here. My husband is here. My life is here. You make the choice to move with them, to marry them, no one forced you.

Anyways, I'm glad you are adjusting well :) And Italy?!?! What a great opportunity for young newlyweds...yall will get a great experience, get to travel all over and see the world before having kids (if that is in the plans). Too cool!