Thursday, June 30, 2011

Crappy Crossfitter?

I've been doing Crossfit for about two weeks now. I must say that it's a love/hate relationship. I hate the workout while I'm doing it, but I love how I feel afterwards. I really think that I'm already getting stronger, at least in my upper body and I'm no longer as sore as I was after the first workout.

That being said I kind of had a bad moment yesterday after our workout. Our workout of the day was Nancy and for those who don't know it involves 5 rounds of running 400 meters followed by 15 overhead squats. I'm not a runner anyway and I'm especially not a runner after I've been doing overhead squats. The first couple of laps I was slower, but fine. The last three laps I had to walk about 30 feet and then continued running. My time wasn't horrible and I wasn't the last one to finish the workout, but afterwards the guy who is leading these classes pulled me aside to tell me he thought I wasn't pushing myself hard enough. I'll admit, I probably could have ran a little more on the workout yesterday, but that's the only workout we've done that I felt like I didn't do as much as I could have.

Afterwards I felt kind of bad about it. I didn't know whether I should feel good that he thought I wasn't living up to my potential and talked to me because of that or if I should feel bad because he thinks I'm just a craptasic Crossfitter. No one else got the motivational speech that I did, which made me feel even worse. Anyone else experienced this in Crossfit?

7 comments:

loqi said...

I'm gonna email you about this, and your other question after I get back from my AM coaching stuff. :)

The thing that jumped out at me in this post was 2 weeks -- way to stick with it! That is definitely something to be proud of, as many people give up after 1 workout.

The only way to be a crappy CrossFitter is to give up on the process. So therefore, no, there's no way you are a crappy CrossFitter. :)

The Rest is Still Unwritten said...

I have never done Crossfit. Pretty sure you're doing better than me already! I think it's great that you're just sticking it out. Sometimes we can't work out as hard as other days and I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Good for you for sticking with it!

Stephanie said...

I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog. Make sure you check it out! :)

www.dogtagsanddevotion.com

The Mrs. in Stilettos said...

You should be proud of yourself for finishing the workout!

Caitlin said...

I think the whole point of Crossfit is to push you really hard in front of other people, so you're more likely to try harder (and not be embarrassed or whatever). I'd feel really exposed if someone did that to me too, but I'm sure it was well-intentioned! I'd stick with it if you're comfortable doing so.

Jessica Lynn said...

Please, please, please don't let anyone make you feel down about working out. I HATE, HATE, HATE running, so I would've walked that much, too, or gone at a slower pace. The point is that you're still out there moving! You're kicking butt and you are pushing yourself! You're doing so much more than sitting on the couch, so keep up the good work!

Emily said...

In my experience that usually means you can work harder and the instructors see's that. If they ignore me they don't care what I do. You've stuck with it so you aren't crappy that's for sure!