Thursday, February 21, 2008

Working Girl....I wish!


I wish I could say I was a working girl. After being in Louisiana for almost two months I have yet to secure employment. Sean and I kind of had words about that last night. I think he thinks I enjoy being unemployed...that I can spend my days on MySpace and blogging, watching TV and laying around but that's not what I do.


I wish sometimes I could make him see that because of the fact that we have one car it's not so easy to go in search of jobs. During the day he wants to be picked up at lunch, which usually starts around 11:30 and ends around 1:00. Some days he's off work at 3:30, other times around 5:00. So it's hard to play the guessing game of when he wants to be picked up. He mentioned looking for a job in Alexandria which is about an hour away. By the time I left after lunch and made sure I had time to come back it would barely leave me any time to job search! I don't think he realizes that his schedule doesn't leave me time to go out to far places and look for a job.

I've been applying to jobs since about the second week I've been here. Places in Leesville, places on post, government jobs, receptionist jobs....Nothing! One second interview and one phone interview, neither of which panned out. Do I enjoy not working? No, I honestly don't. Before I came here I was working two and three jobs. I enjoyed making a living and I don't want Sean to have to pay for everything. I don't like being at home, just doing housework, cleaning, doing laundry, ironing, cooking and being a glorified taxi service.

I told him I wanted a decent job. I was NOT doing retail or working fast food. I have a college degree and at almost 25 years old I do not want to be working the same job a 16 year old is for the same pay. I'm not trying to sound snobbish by saying that, but after working retail off and on for the past 9 years, I'm done with it. It's so frustrating to have a degree and experience and not even get a receptionist job! That is just embarassing!

I just want to find a decent job. Is that too much to ask?

No comments: