Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Don't Be That (Military) Wife

There are a few things that wives (and military wives in particular), do that get on my nerves, but the number one pet peeve of mine is when wives utter this phrase, "There's nothing to do here!"

I have heard this every place we've been stationed. Yes, I even heard that in Europe! Quite simply, it blows my mind. I feel like a lot of this comes from the fact that people are lazy. They don't want to do research and find out what is nearby. They want someone to tell them and to do all the work.  Or they simply  just want to complain for x amount of years that they are stationed someplace. Sometimes I think all these wives that complain that there is nothing to do were the same children who always complained they were bored.

A good example of this happened today on the Facebook page for Fort Sill Army Wives.  I can't tell you how many times I hear the phrase, "There's nothing to do at this post or around Lawton." Finally I asked the girl today what exactly it was that she wanting to do that this area didn't provide.  Her answer." We came from a big city so there was always all sorts of activities going on. Concerts, big lakes, tonsssss of shopping, amazing restaurants, etc."

For the record, the big city she's referring to is the 4th largest city in Tennessee. I haven't been there, but judging from the population and demographic stats, it's not the large city I was envisioning when she started complaining. If she was from Chicago or New York City, I'd understand a bit more.

Here's the thing, (and in this next few paragraph I'm totally going to sound like a paid employee for tourism in Oklahoma)  you can find ALL these things within an hour (or sometimes two or three hours) of Lawton. And if you want more shopping, restaurants and aren't satisfied with what you can find in Oklahoma, drive the three hours to Dallas. It's a fairly quick drive.

Concerts- big acts regularly come to both Oklahoma City and Tulsa.  Not only that, but the Cain's Ballroom in Tulsa often has really great, albeit smaller acts that come in. It's a very historic place for music. In fact, I believe in November, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals are playing there. 

Big lakes- there are at least two, if not more lakes within 20 minutes of post.  They might not be massive, as in Great Lakes size, but they are lakes. Also, Oklahoma has over 200 lakes, with Lake Eufala being the 15th largest lake in the United States.

Sports- Oklahoma City Thunder an hour and a half drive away. Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers a three hour drive away. There is a hockey team in Wichita Falls (50 minutes) and a minor league baseball team in OKC.

Arts- OKC and Tulsa both regularly get traveling Broadway shows (Mary Poppins will be in OKC soon) not to mention both have ballet and other events at their performing arts centers.

Museums- In Lawton there are several museums. Museum of the Great Plains is literally 10 minutes from my house, Geronimo's Grave is about 15 minutes away, also the Mattie Beal House is in Lawton (one of the few women in the Oklahoma Land Run Lottery) the Washita Battlefield National Historic Site (2.5 hours from Lawton) National Cowboy &  Western Heritage Museum in OKC, the National Route 66 Museum in Clinton, the Philbrook and Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa and I know there are tons of other museums I'm not even mentioning that are nearby.

Shopping- Go to OKC. They have several malls, and I noticed in the last couple of years also added an outlet mall.  Whole Foods (although no Trader Joe's, you have to go to Dallas for that) Tons of thrift stores, flea markets and antique stores in every little town in Oklahoma. Not to mention how many there are in OKC.

Restaurants- Since living in Lawton, we've had the opportunity to have a lot of great meals. I've had the best Korean food to date here in Lawton, we had Pakistani food the other day that was delish too, German food (that was as good as anything in Germany) in Wichita Falls. Grass fed Longhorn burgers and fried green tomatoes in Meers (about 20 minutes away) and have yet to have a bad meal at the Old Plantation restaurant in Medicine Park.

I could go on and on. But I won't. My point is, that this girl may have lived here for a little bit, but she has no idea of what she has surrounding her. I hope she isn't one of those people that will sit on post for the next three years and continue to complain about what this place lacks, but it wouldn't surprise me if she did. 

Please, if you are stationed somewhere and you think you don't like it, take the time to find out what's around you. I promise there has to be something in your area that you will end up loving. Contact your state tourism board and get info on your region. I got a huge packet from the Oklahoma Tourism board after we moved here because I'm unfamiliar with this area of the state and wanted to know what was around us.

Just don't be that (military) wife!

24 comments:

Semper Wifey said...

This is so true! We've been stationed in farm towns and big cities and have found stuff to do and love everywhere we've been. It's all about your attitude! Keep having fun! :)

Molly said...

I love this blog post! We are stationed at Fort Drum and everyone told me how much I would hate it. I have actually found loads of things to do and really like it here. The area is gorgeous with tons of hiking. I completely agree that it is all about attitude.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I can guess that the lady complaining comes from a city like my hometown. Nothing was more than a 45 min drive, other that Disneyland. When we first got here and realized it took 45 mins to the nearest Wal-Mart, and over an hour to the closest Target my mind was blown. Anything worth doing is a good drive away, and we were not use to that. I was used to hearing something was going on, getting in my car and being there in 15mins. Now we have to plan activates. We have to make a day of going to the closest mall. I’m guessing she is just not use to that. It took us a while to figure it out!

Erika said...

I am glad that someone else feels the same way. I think people just need something to complain about.

Unknown said...

This is spot on. If you take the time to do a little research, you can really learn to make the best of most places!

Jessica Lynn said...

Amen. It's totally what you make of it. I hope you share this post on that FB page; sometimes people are too lazy to research and find things, they just want things handed to them.

Chantal said...

I hate that. I mean, right now we do live pretty much in the middle of nowhere, but we still manage to find stuff to do. People complained about it in Hawaii too. Hawaii!

Anonymous said...

Hear, hear! I get so sick of hearing that--especially in Germany. Are you kidding me?? We're within a few hours of eight different countries. There are a million festivals every weekend. What the heck do people want?

The Rest is Still Unwritten said...

I'm not a military wife but people say that so often where I live. And I'm 20 minutes from the beach and 20 minutes from Houston, the third largest city in the COUNTRY! I don't get it either. There is always something to do if you are willing to find it!

Sarah said...

I don't completely agree that there is always something fun to do around, but I do agree that everyone should make the best of it!
When we were stationed in North Dakota, going anywhere in the winter time wasn't much of an option unless you wanted to risk getting stuck in a storm or snow drift. Going from town to base was a challenge and that was just eight miles!
It had some really great cultural festivals though, AMAZING thrift stores, and The Mall of America was just eight hours away. ;)
But really, what it lacked in things close by, it made up for in bringing together people BECAUSE of the difficulty in going places. I made some of the BEST friends I have yet to make in this crazy military life and I wouldn't trade them for the world. We've been at our new base in WA for over a year now and I still keep in touch with all those friends. I hope to do so for the rest of my life. :)

❈ Annie - Blonde Glambition ❈ said...

I love this!! Saying there's nothing to do when the world is as big as it is...makes me laugh at people. There's always something to do or new adventure to have...it's all about creativity and research...and you, my friend, are highly skilled in both areas!! One more reason why I hope peeps take your advice to heart. People miss out on so much by throwing in the towel by being too lazy to do a little exploring and research.

Battles on the Homefront said...

Where did you have good Korean because what we had while my husband was there for a school was crap. The best Korean I have had outside of Korea has been here in Killeen just outside of Fort Hood's main gate. I ask because Mac will be back up there for CCC within the next two years and good Korean is something I always look for.

Oh and I hear the same complaints about Fort Hood all the time which baffles me considering how close we are to Austin. Though I am getting bored here since we have been here for 4 years(and probably have two more) I know there is always something to do if I want to find it.

Anonymous said...

I have to admit, being from Chicago, when I was in Kansas after he got home from deployment (for 3.5 whole months), I often whined about the lack of things to do without having to drive an hour and a half. However, we always managed to find something to do eventually.

Now that we're stationed at Lewis, it floors me when I hear people say they can't find anything to do. We're between two large cities (Olypmia and Tacoma), and about 45 minutes away from Seattle. I don't get it. At all.

Anonymous said...

I admit that the Korean food in Lawton is really good!

Karen

C said...

My husband and I lived in Lawton while he was stationed at Ft. Sill, and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! I actually really liked Oklahoma in a lot of ways because it was so different from where I come from- I had never seen buffalo or wild elk, for example. It was seriously a trip and I'm really glad I got to see that part of the country. Also, I have to give shout-outs to the Mattie Beale home! J and I had to get married last minute before he deployed and we called Mattie Beale staff literally the day of our wedding and they let us come in to do a photo session! It was perfect and they were SO nice. Good, good post!

Whimsy said...

I agree! I don't expect everyone to like everything about every base, but still some people complain about everything. I try to avoid people like that - they just make me grumpy! :-P

Dana said...

Oh. I've just given up on those people entirely. It's not just the military wives, either.

Life is what you make it!
D

lilmoomoo said...

OMG I am so glad you wrote this!!! That comment has always annoyed me too. When we were set to go to Lawton/ FT Sill for my husband's artillery school training, I got so many comments about how we were going to "hate it" and that people "felt sorry for us". But you know, we went there with a positive attitude and we ended up LOVING IT. It's all about what you make of it. We simply researched what was around, asked some locals where to go, and sometimes just got into our car and went exploring, and ended up making some of the most awesome memories there! Concerts came to Ft. Sill all the time, we went to the lake and the local wildlife reserves, to Meer's burgers, and we traveled to Tulsa a few times to shop/eat/go to concerts, and we were constantly finding random festivals to go to in near by cities!
Saying that there is "nothing to do" on a post is a lot like a little kid whining to their mommy about how they are bored!! haha GET OUT THERE! MAKE YOUR OWN FUN!
Anyway. Sorry for the novel. I concur. LOL

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for this post! Being stationed in El Paso, we hear this ALL THE TIME. It drives me nuts... we even have a lake within a two hour drive.

Fran said...

Amen! I've heard people complain about being stationed in Hawaii... and I'm like - seriously?! Get out, people! People complain about Lewis too and I'm just like, excuse me but you have Seattle 1 hr away so just stop. haha

Dana said...

I know which "lady" you're talking about. I actually was lucky enough to meet her at a friend's daughter's birthday party over the summer. She's even worse in real life. On the rare occasion I comment on posts after her complaints about Lawton, 99% of my comment is aimed at her, lol. I always feel the need to cancel out her negativity.

bradmaddox said...

The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
LolsGag.Com

ryan james said...

Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
www.hotfxearnings.com

Unknown said...

Want to Make Website or Software...? Any Type of Website and Software and Desktop and Web Based Applications.
Want to Make Now, Just Contact us at Skype
Skype : Jobz.Corner