Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Search for Friends

I think one of the hardest things about moving down here with Sean is my lack of friends.

In Oklahoma I was very blessed to have amazing friends that I could confide in or just have a good time with.

Here in Louisiana, besides Sean, I am alone. No friends, no even real acquaintances. The only other people I come in contact with or people in places like the grocery store or our neighborhood center and I'm talking about the people that work there.

I'm so ready for an FRG meeting or something like that where I can actually meet some other women around here. I'm also thinking about taking a kickboxing class in the evenings, so perhaps there will be some other women there too.

I'm lonely and I hate being that way. I'm a very friendly person and have always had friends. It's not hard for me to make them, but so far it's been hard for me to meet them. One of Sean's friend's wives just wants me to hang out with her so I can chauffer her around. She's an ok girl, but she's much younger than me and lives her life in a way that I'm not comfortable with. I don't want poor quality acquaintances, I'm looking for high quality women that I can identify with and share things in common with. I really don't think that's too much to ask in this case.

I do have some good news though. My job searching seems to be going well. I faxed a couple of resumes yesterday and when I did the girl at our Neighborhood Center suggested that I come work for them. She gave me the website for the job application and postings and I applied for three of them last night. I'm hoping that one of them pans out. It would be nice to not have to drive off post everyday.

I'm really trying to soak up the culture down here. I told Sean I was going to buy a King Cake for Mardi Gras. I have some idea of what they are, but I think I need to research them a little bit more. I'm very eager to go to Baton Rouge and New Orleans too. Sean keeps telling me that New Orleans isn't the same since Katrina, but I don't think he understands my need to see these places. I've never been there and so I really want to experience all that Louisiana has to offer. I want to make the most of my time down here. I'm very eager to try some authentic Cajun food and take advantage of all the fresh seafood that is around here. Why not enjoy the places you are stationed to the fullest?

No comments: