Monday, May 14, 2012

Supporting the Troops?

Clicking around on Facebook today, I keep seeing various pages popping up on my newsfeed that either friends have liked or have discussed.

I'm sure if you're a military spouse you've seen a few of these, pages where women "support" our troops by taking pictures of themselves in varying states of undress.  These pages have names like, "Vixens for Veterans" or "Booties for the Troops". There are literally dozens of these pages for every branch and all with equally ridiculous names and themes.

Normally, I just ignore these pages as ridiculous quests for attention, but today they really got under my skin.

I do NOT understand why the people that run these pages or the women that post pictures of themselves on these pages claim to "support the troops".  Please explain to me how exactly taking a picture of yourself in your underwear and slapping it on Facebook in a desperate cry for attention, is supporting the troops?

Really? I seriously doubt most of these women have ever been in a relationship with a military member and if they currently are, I have to question why exactly they'd be sharing a picture like that with the rest of the military community.  With all the ways to support the troops: care packages, letters, donations to foundations, volunteering, how exactly does your paltry contribution of a photo of your girly bits qualify as "supporting the troops?"

Instead, why don't you get out there and actually do something for the troops? I'd be a heck of a lot more impressed if there was a website where women took pictures of themselves writing letters or putting together care packages, then I am by these attention-seeking, lonely women who have to validate themselves by any means possible.

10 comments:

Alia said...

ugh, I seriously DESPISE those type of "support our troop" gimmicks, they make me so peeved it's not even funny. Oh here is my half naked pic to encourage you, seriously give me a break.

The Kellys said...

Care packages, letters, or even just emails would do a world more good than half naked pictures. There are plenty of half naked (or more) pictures out there for guys to find if they want them.

Tori Bella said...

Are you freaking kidding me?1 I've never heard of that! Ridiculous!

Bea said...

I've heard of these pages. I really don't know what to think. Sure, if you've got it flaunt it but why on the internet? I thought things like that should be kept on a more private level.

As well, I can see single men [no girlfriend, no wife etc] checking this out but I have heard of married men sneaking a peak.

I think what I'm lucky of is my husband doesn't care for things like that except from just me in private. I applaud you for your opinion on this subject.

Erika said...

Very well said!

Mary said...

Wow, I've never seen any of those. Ugh.

Dana said...

That's as bad as the gossipy, catty Facebook pages made by military spouses. Poor taste, indeed. And people wonder where the stereotype comes from?

Jessica Lynn said...

Oh wow! I feel like I've been living under a rock somehow; I've never heard of these pages. They sound extremely tacky.

Amber Nicole said...

I could not agree more. I think it makes these woman more whoreish than supportive.

Christine said...

preach it sister! i've never seen these but if i did, i'm sure i would be disgusted. grow up ladies.